Thursday, March 11, 2010

First real meal





The day we arrived in Nottingham, my friend Tyson and I decided to browse thru Tesco . Unlike my last Tesco, which was a GIANT supermarket, this one was a superette. But its been over a week since my last cooking experiment so i decided to do a little browsing. Surprise! Right away my eyes land on this beautiful bold brown portobello mushroom and I was starting to get excited. After walking up and down four aisles, in my basket I had asparagus tips, Smoked Mackerel, a couple of cans of chicken soup, minced garlic and chili paste in a tube (very convenient for me-thanks Tesco!). The next day, my call time for work wasn't until late afternoon so i thought it was the perfect time for me to try cooking. My set-up is very simple. I just have one frying pan, a wooden spoon, a knife, along with a hot plate. My cooking method has only one factor. Since I only have one pan, less washing in between is key. So fish had to be last. I started with some chicken soup only using the broth to cook the lentils. About 10 minutes and lots of steam it was done. Second, i cut up thick slices of portobello mushrooms (2 caps) and a quick rinse of my pan, added some olive oil and let it get real hot. After few minutes, i dropped the mushrooms in and it began to sizzle. I was excited that it was hot enough to sizzle but then i got paranoid that it might get too smokey and set off the fire alarm. So i grabbed my towel and blocked the doorway. By this time, my 'shrooms have wilted down so i added a pinch of kosher salt, pepper, squeeze of garlic and splash of soy sauce. As soon as the garlic hit the pan, there was no turning back. I don't know about you but i love garlic and how it smells. It immediately takes me to that happy place. It was really hard not to just eat it all up but I set my garlicky mushrooms aside with the lentils. Quick wipe and on to the fish. Since it was already cooked my job was already half done. After heating the pan, add the fish give it some time to brown a quick squeeze of chili and a pinch of salt. Let me just tell you, mackerel is one of my favorite fish, its got tons of good fish oil and a real buttery taste. So on my paper plate, i helped myself to a good portion of lentils, mushrooms and piece of my delicious fish! One word, Two syllables. YUM-MY!

No comments:

Post a Comment